The Monye family in Ogbesogba quarters of Ime-Obi, Agbor in Ika South Local Government Area was on Sunday, July 29, 2018 were thrown into mourning as a 15-year-old girl and their daughter, Vivian Monye got electrocuted.
The girl was electrocuted while assisting her father to bail out water after flood wrecked havoc in their rented apartment along the Owa-Nta Aliosimi Road Boji-Boji Owa in Ika North East Local Government Area.
As at the time Ika Weekly reporter visited the residence of the deceased, sympathizers who trooped in lamented the neglect of the Delta State government to address the devastating state of roads in the area.
The father of the deceased and a widower, Mr. Moses Monye who spoke to newsmen, said, “Vivian and her friend who also is the landlord’s daughter were assisting me to bail out water that took over our apartment after the downpour, when suddenly the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC), restored power to our area. The spark that followed caused us to panic. While we ran out, my daughter, Vivian got stuck as her right hand touched the burglary proof and before we could give her any assistance she had already given up the ghost. Watching my daughter die helplessly was a painful experience”.
While describing Vivian’s death as a great loss, Mr. Monye who is over 70 years old stated that five years ago, he lost his wife, Vivian’s mother to cold hands of death and explained that all his efforts to bring up Vivian is now a waste.
Earlier, the Executive Chairman Ika North East Local Government Area, Hon. Barr. Victor Ebonka and State Commissioner for Special Duties, Barr. Ernest Ogwezzy, have paid condolence visit to the bereaved family, expressing the state government’s commitment to tackle flood menace in the area. They urged Vivian’s family to take heart, praying God to console them over their loss.
As at the time of filing this report, the remains of late Vivian Monye has been laid to rest.